Sunday, February 3, 2013

Homemade McGriddle Recipe

Calling all McGriddle and/or McDonald's lovers: how to make a homemade McGriddle! You no longer need to put your hard-earned money into a business that encourages poor environmental and animal welfare practices.


I was coaxed into tasting a McGriddle last week and was sold. But I will NEVER EVER EVER get back together with McDonald's.


I made some variations since I don't eat meat, but you can easily get a slices of bacon and sausage from the local farmer and just tuck it in there. I also ditched processed cheese slices since that day I caught it turning whitish grey when left in a sandwich for a while. So "normal" cheese it is.

What you need
  • Pancake batter (check this recipe out)
  • Maple Syrup
  • 1 egg
  • Cheese
  • A cooking oil

Super easy steps:

Pancake 1. Pour the batter onto your cooking surface so that you get circular pancakes that are a few inches wide and about a half inch thick. Immediately swirl maple syrup onto the uncooked center of the pancake (failing to do so will make your syrup fall to the edges and burn in the pan) When the syrup has sunken in, flip it.

Egg 2. While this is cooking, beat your egg and fry it with a bit of oil. To get the McGriddle Egg effect, let the oil and pan heat up thoroughly then add the egg while letting it spread out thin. Make sure it's properly cooked before flipping.

Putting it together 3. Cut the cheese and add it with the egg between two syrup filled pancakes

4. Enjoy the taste of Fuck-you-McDonald's.

Of course McDonald's uses more grease, that's why theirs looks shinier. They also use salt. If that's your thing, feel free to grease that salty thing up. I ain't gon' stop you.

So yeah, enjoy your Sunday !

6 comments:

  1. Melissa, that looks freaking amazing.
    Let me love it.
    Also, have you figured out a way to stream-line this for weekend mornings? Like, keeping the pancake batter in a squeeze bottle or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's actually a good idea.

      I go straight from my measuring cup that has a pouring spout, however it is a little messy I must admit (or am I just a messy chef ?!)

      If you want to keep it in the fridge though, having a squirt bottle would be fantastic: less space and less waste of plastic wrap!

      Delete
  2. Looks Really good! I'm going to try this on the weekend. By the way, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melissa, I tried out your idea and it went over really, really well. I made pancakes with wholewheat flour(what I had on had) and used the pancake recipe I was familiar with. I added some julienned ham to the egg omlette and grated the cheese so it would melt better and sprinkled it on top of the omlette during the final stages. The cheese got nice and gooey. Awesome! So now I want to try one with cornmeal pancakes, eggs with green peppers, salsa and sour cream and of course grated cheese. See what you started?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! This is awesome news. Glad it worked out. Your "mexican" HomeGriddle sounds insane. I'm going to have to try this. I love bouncing recipe ideas with people. Cheers!

      Delete